Friday, February 24, 2017

The quilting equivalent to watching paint dry...


These are very poor quality pictures that I took late last night before going to bed following a long afternoon and evening of hand quilting.  I thought I would show you where I am in the process of quilting my "Contentment" quilt top.


I am outline quilting every little piece, then echo quilting as a background fill. The quilt just seemed too busy to me to try and do anything more organized like background gridding or lines.


It will look better after a good pressing...I am quilting on a hoop and have the top all wadded up in my lap as I make progress. I tried stretching it out on top of the TV table I am using to take these poor pictures.


I started with the big 16-inch center block then proceeded into the twelve 10-inch surrounding blocks, heading toward the borders.


It is a lot of stitches!  I have almost burned through my first spool of YLI hand quilting thread (#002 Ecru) and several layers of skin on my right thumb and left index and middle fingers.

It is pretty boring quilting until I get to something larger like the stork...then I can play with further quilting designs.  THAT is really fun.  My next project is going to have bigger motifs, LOL!


It seems like forever since I hand quilted something substantial, but fortunately the process is like riding a bike!  I may not quilt today due to the heat...it is supposed to be 80 degrees!  (And I have procrastinated so long that we have ZERO clean clothes.)  If anyone has seen my winter season, please send it home!  It is actually supposed to be 50 degrees tomorrow...better quilting weather.


I like hand quilting around the individual flower petals...the subtle loft of the quilt batt gives them an almost 3-D, slightly stuffed appearance.  

I love running my hand over the surface of the quilt as I work.  The feel of hand quilting is just so darn satisfying to me.

Last night I worked on the following block...I was actually hand quilting on a block of me hand quilting...it was like the Twilight Zone.


If I can keep this pace going, I will get it done before the Sauder Village Show in NW Ohio, which also means I will make the deadline to submit it to the juried AQS Grand Rapids show...yippee!

Thank God for DVD's...I just finished watching the second season of "Poldark."

In stitches,
Teresa   :o)

26 comments:

  1. WOW you are making progress. I have been slowly getting back into the mood to sew. We maybe will get snow tonight. I am ready for Spring. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful, you are putting in a lot of quilting to have used up that much thread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I thought I was a fast hand quilter, but you are amazing! I can't believe how far a long you are. I love the Twilight Zone reference. Too funny! I surely hope I get to see this one in person. SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good. Thanks for sharing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, lovely, lovely .... you're doing great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing an amazing task of making this quilt. It's one terrific quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that made me laugh... you hand quilting a block of you hand quilting!
    Fabulous and just so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are making amazing progress! It looks fabulous :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hand quilting has a completely different look and feel. Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe how fast you can hand quilt. It is looking great and I think the outlining and echoing is just perfect for it. It certainly is a masterpiece and I hope it goes to many quilt shows for people to see it up close.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is looking great! I can sympathize with the "paint drying" comparison. I've been hand quilting one of my quilts since November. Christmas distracted me and now I'm making things for my grandchildren so the focus has not been on my quilt. The quilting looks beautiful but I'm itching to work on something else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks fantastic and you are zooming along the quilt. Please enter it in ROAD, a show held in southern California in January as I want to see it up close to enjoy all the applique and quilting. ROAD is an international show and the deadline is usually late summer/early fall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow. wow. wow. Your quilting is certainly highlighting the applique, which now looks like it is positively floating, like angels on clouds. I am super excited for you.

    Love your work.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous stitching. I love that echo quilting especially

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!!! Your work is amazing! I can't get over how much you've gotten done. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are putting a lot of hand quilting in your quilt. A labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't even imagine it but I'll cheer you along.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You go, girl--this is such a gorgeous quilt and your hand quilting is the icing on it for sure. Lovely work...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful. I also run my hand over the quilted material a lot while quilting. There is just something in that feel!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Your hand quilting is making the beautiful pieced and appliquéd top even more stunning., my hat is off to you.
    Mary in New Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  21. Making good stitching progress. May I ask what type and brand of batting you use? I apologized if you mentioned this before and I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stitch by stitch you are adding beauty to an already gorgeous quilt. Love seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't believe you have quilted that much already. Way to go girl! Gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hand quilting is slow but oh so wonderful in regards to texture. Your work is beautiful and I hand quilt as well and loved the 'watching paint dry' analogy because sometimes it does feel like that. When I get into THAT mood I just tell myself one length of thread per day...

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's amazing! I'm hand quilting a queen size quilt that I abandoned two years ago due to being overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of the quilting job. I'm back at it, as I really do love hand quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fantastic! What an amazing family heirloom! Just yesterday I decided to hand quilt a top I made years ago, you're inspiring me to get started.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!