Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Lots of Christmas cooking...


I love making Moroccan Eggplant Dip during the holidays.  It is healthy, exotic, easy, and most important...it is DELICIOUS!  I always make 3 recipes at once because it disappears, especially when I am taking it for a family gathering.  It is delicious with pita wedges.

It freezes well.



Here is the basic recipe: 

MOROCCAN EGGPLANT DIP

3 Tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
1 large eggplant, peeled and diced
1 green pepper, seeded and diced
1 large onion, diced
1 8oz. can tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh cilantro or 2 tbsp. dried coriander leaves

In large fry pan, heat the oil and add all ingredients except the fresh cilantro (if you are using dry coriander instead, that can go into the mix now).  Cook uncovered over medium heat for 20 minutes.  Uncover and cook over high heat, stirring, until reduced to about 3 cups.  Cover and chill at least 2 hours or overnight. 

Before eating, stir in fresh cilantro, if you chose to use that over the dry coriander.

Serve with wedges of pita bread, thin slices of crusty french bread, or pumpernickel.  It is also good with raw vegetables.

YUM!  It is just perfect when feeding family and friends during the holidays.

In stitches,
Teresa

6 comments:

  1. I am saving this recipe for New Year's Eve - sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful. I love that it isn't full of mayo and/or sour cream. I will definitely be making this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful, I am going to have to try it! I love things that freeze up nicely. Makes more time for quilting later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds delicious, I'll definitely have to try it. In the picture it looks like it must have tomatoes in it, so red. But no tomatoes in the recipe. What gives it the red color? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely want to try this too. I'm also wondering where all the red coloring comes from. Surely not just the cayenne pepper.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!