Friday, December 3, 2010

HOT project!


Santa's workshop is open and humming!  This is going to be a casserole mat.  My scrappy strip containers were overflowing (thank you, Mary J.!!) and then I saw the hot pad tutorial on the Esch House Blog.  Yippee!  A gift idea AND a way to be able to close my containers again!  A definite "two-fer!!"  These will be pads to put hot casseroles on and feature Insul-Brite insulated batting.  EVERYONE needs these on their Christmas list!

And I get to play with Tonya letters, just in time for the much anticipated release of her first book, "Word Play Quilts!"  Oooo!  I'm so excited to get a copy!!  Come on Santa...get your butt here and deliver me a book!

These hot pads measure 10 x 15 inches, which is what these first 4 efforts will measure when finished.  That is the perfect size to work for a 9 x 13 casserole dish.  Her tutorial is fabulous, and I am working on making several "tops," then I will layer, machine-quilt, and assemble in true elf assembly line fashion.  Ho-ho-ho!

Here are 3 strippy ones without words. 




OK...they are definitely more fun with words.  I made the following words to incorporate in some strippy tree blocks.  I'm going to vary the sizes on these to accommodate steeping teapots and smaller casserole dishes.  This project is getting hot-hot-HOT!!


 
Making some tree blocks...





Now I will attach a "hot!" block to a tree(s) to make more fun casserole mats.

The strips start like this...



Then turn into free-pieced blocks and trees.





Using my 5.5 inch square ruler, it just takes 6 blocks to make a 10 x 15 mat.  Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy!

I'll be back soon with some that are finished!

In stitches,
Teresa  :o)

14 comments:

  1. dear teresa,nice to hear from you again,good idea with those mats,have a nice weekend,susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mats are a wonderful idea!! I LOVE the one that says HOT HOT HOT :0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy! Mats are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My...what a busy little 'hot' tamalie you have been....these are really cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - you've been busy. I think you must have a bunch of little sewing elves at your place. I love these! The words do make them very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! I look forward to what you will be stitching up...love the trees...very cool...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these - they are pure genius! your organization is inspiring -
    I was happy to see your post today pal and hope all is well and you survived your company.
    These are really wonderful mats and love the trees-
    bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are having way too much fun over there with your scraps and strings!!! The more I use up my scraps, the more fun I have. Love what you are doing with the Hot Dish mat!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Theresa, I love these hot pads - so much that I have my own little work shop going. I took inspiration from your idea (and from Esch House Blog) and went in a little different direction, I will put it in my blog soon, putting the finishing touches on my little gifties.
    Happy Holidays and have fun Santa sewer.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those mats and they are a nifty gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look wonderful! I hope you've managed to catch up on some energy restoring naps ;) I've enjoyed my visit to your blog when I hopped here after reading your Stash Manicure article :) Thank you for the inspiration :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!