Sunday, June 14, 2009

It's politically-CORRECT to get all "Mavericky"

Well friends, I have really enjoyed playing around on Bonnie Hunter's site, http://www.quiltville.com/.

I love her instructions for making Maverick Stars. It's like Gwen Marston's liberated stars (so I've heard), and requires no templates and absolutely no worrying about star points! I challenge all of you to go to her site, find the directions to "Maverick Stars" on the right-hand menu of free patterns, and start playing!

Bonnie's directions have you starting with 2 1/2 inch squares, then sewing on chucks of colorful scraps in a flip and sew sort of fashion. I'm itching to try both larger and smaller 'jumping off' squares to make both larger and smaller stars.

Since I have a disease of not being able to throw away ANY LITTLE CRUMB OF FABRIC SCRAP, I am always looking for new ways to give life to these little cast-offs. It's very satisfying to use them up, and the variety of fabrics makes a scrappy project never dull. Sometimes I am afraid to allow myself to try really original and crazy stuff while sewing because I'm afraid of failing and 'wasting' good fabric. Heck, the scraps are already "waste," so I'm trying to let go of the needless worry.


In stitches,
Teresa  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!